Cancer of the Breast in Males Overview
Another name for Cancer of the Breast in Males is Breast Cancer in Males.
What is breast cancer in males?
A man with breast cancer has a growth of abnormal cells in the breast that multiply out of control. These cells can form tumors and spread to other parts of the body. Breast cancer is very rare in males. The cause of breast cancer is unknown, but genetics play a role in susceptibility to breast cancer.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer in males?
The most common symptom of breast cancer in males is a new or enlarging breast lump. Breast cancer can cause a variety of other changes in the skin and nipple of the affected breast.
How does the doctor treat breast cancer in males?
Treatment for breast cancer in males may include any one or some combination of surgery, hormone therapy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Continue to Cancer of the Breast in Males Incidence
- Appelbaum AH, Evans GF, Levy KR, et al: Mammographic appearances of male breast disease. Radiographics 1999 May-Jun; 19(3): 559-68 . 
- Carmalt HL, Mann LJ, Kennedy CW, et al: Carcinoma of the male breast: a review and recommendations for management. Aust N Z J Surg 1998 Oct; 68(10): 712-5 
- Dehner LP, Hill DA, Deschryver K: Pathology of the breast in children, adolescents, and young adults. Semin Diagn Pathol 1999 Aug; 16(3): 235-47. 
- Giordano SH, Perkins GH, Broglio K, Garcia SG, Middleton LP, Buzdar AU, Hortobagyi GN. Adjuvant systemic therapy for male breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2005 Dec 1;104(11):2359-64. 
- Greydanus DE, Parks DS, Farrell EG: Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am 1989 Jun; 36(3): 601-38. 
- Hsing AW, McLaughlin JK, Cocco P, Co Chien HT, Fraumeni JF Jr. Risk factors for male breast cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 1998 May;9(3):269-75. 
- Pacinda SJ, Ramzy I. Fine-needle aspiration of breast masses. A review of its role in diagnosis and management in adolescent patients. J Adolesc Health. 1998 Jul;23(1):3-6. 
- Stewart RA, Howlett DC, Hearn FJ: Pictorial review: the imaging features of male breast disease. Clin Radiol 1997 Oct; 52(10): 739-44.