Cancer Melanoma Outlook
What to expect with malignant melanoma:
- Most malignant melanomas are curable if they are detected and treated early.
- Melanomas that are thin or less than 1 mm thick have the best prognosis
- Melanomas that are not ulcerated have a better prognosis
- Melanomas that occur on the extremities, as opposed to the trunk have a better prognosis
- Younger patients with melanoma have a better prognosis than the elderly patient.
- Melanomas that have spread to other organs are often fatal within 5 years.
Continue to Cancer Melanoma Complications
- Brown TJ, Nelson BR. Malignant melanoma: a clinical review. Cutis. 1999 May;63(5):275-8, 281-4. 
- Ruiz-Maldonado R, Orozco-Covarrubias ML. Malignant melanoma in children. A review. Arch Dermatol. 1997 Mar;133(3):363-71. 
- Schuchter LM. Review of the 2001 AJCC staging system for cutaneous malignant melanoma. Curr Oncol Rep. 2001 Jul;3(4):332-7.