Cancer Hepatic Anorexia
Many patients with liver cancer will suffer from anorexia, or loss of appetite. Anorexia is a problem with many forms of cancer, because cancer can affect the body's hormones, digestive system and brain. It is also a common side effect of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Good nutrition is an important part of successful cancer treatment. Adequate nutrition can boost the immune system and help increase the effectiveness of cancer therapy.
Home care for anorexia includes:
- Avoid stomach irritants such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid excessive caffeine and other stimulants.
- Check with your doctor about drinking alcohol.
- Do not force yourself to eat at standard times. Eat when you are hungry instead.
- Concentrate on eating a healthy diet. Avoid junk foods.
- Select healthy, high-calorie foods that you enjoy.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals.
- Get some exercise every day.
- Keep a daily log of your weight.
- Don't smoke. Nicotine can suppress the appetite.
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist about dietary supplements.
- Ask your doctor if any medications you may be taking can cause anorexia.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed.
- Anti-nausea medications:
- Appetite stimulants:
Continue to Cancer Hepatic Liver Diet
- Bhosale P, Szklaruk J, Silverman PM. Current staging of hepatocellular carcinoma: imaging implications. Cancer Imaging. 2006 Jul 4;6:83-94. 
- Hung CH, Lee CM, Lu SN, Wang JH, Hu TH, Tung HD, Chen CH, Chen WJ, Changchien CS. Long-term effect of interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin therapy on incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C virus-related cirrhosis. J Viral Hepat. 2006 Jun;13(6):409-14. 
- Lewis AM, Martin RC. The treatment of hepatic metastases in colorectal carcinoma. Am Surg. 2006 Jun;72(6):466-73. 
- Lise M, Pilati P, Da Pian P, Mocellin S, Nitti D, Corazzino S. Treatment options for liver metastases from colorectal cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2003 Dec;22(4 Suppl):149-56. 
- Matsui O. Detection and characterization of hepatocellular carcinoma by imaging. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Oct;3(10 Suppl 2):S136-40. 
- Thomas MB, Abbruzzese JL. Opportunities for targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Nov 1;23(31):8093-108.