Cancer Bladder Complications
Complications of bladder cancer include:
- Spread of the cancer
- Urinary tract infection
- Most men will have difficulty with an erection after bladder cancer surgery. This may be temporary.
- Removal of the prostate gland in some men will make them sterile.
Side effects of radiation therapy include:
- Skin burns
- Confusion (with radiation to the brain)
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hair loss
- Headaches (with radiation to the brain)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Other cancers
- Rashes and other skin changes (discoloration)
- Weight loss
Side effects of chemotherapy include:
Continue to Cancer Bladder Underlying Cause
- Johansson SL, Cohen SM: Epidemiology and etiology of bladder cancer. Semin Surg Oncol 1997 Sep-Oct; 13(5): 291-8. 
- Montironi R, Lopez-Beltran A. The 2004 WHO classification of bladder tumors: a summary and commentary. Int J Surg Pathol. 2005 Apr;13(2):143-53. 
- Rosenberg JE, Carroll PR, Small EJ. Update on chemotherapy for advanced bladder cancer. J Urol. 2005 Jul;174(1):14-20. 
- Warde P, Gospodarowicz MK: New approaches in the use of radiation therapy in the treatment of infiltrative transitional-cell cancer of the bladder. World J Urol 1997; 15(2): 125-33.