Bursitis Hip Treatment
Treatment for hip bursitis usually includes rest, crutches, cold compresses, stretching exercises, physical therapy, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Additional treatment may include corticosteroid injections into the hip bursa.
Treatment options for hip bursitis include:
- Cold compresses
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Nabumetone (Relafen)
- Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) Inhibitors:
- Corticosteroid injections for hip bursitis:
- Medication is injected into the bursa
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Other pain medications:
- Hip stretching exercises
- Physical therapy for hip bursitis
Bursitis Hip Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of hip bursitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Bursitis Hip Specialist
Continue to Bursitis Hip Home Care
- Butcher JD, Salzman KL, Lillegard WA. Lower extremity bursitis. Am Fam Physician. 1996 May 15;53(7):2317-24. 
- Fox JL. The role of arthroscopic bursectomy in the treatment of trochanteric bursitis. Arthroscopy. 2002 Sep;18(7):E34. 
- Shbeeb MI, O'Duffy JD, Michet CJ Jr, O'Fallon WM, Matteson EL. Evaluation of glucocorticosteroid injection for the treatment of trochanteric bursitis. J Rheumatol. 1996 Dec;23(12):2104-6.