Stephen J. Schueler, M.D.

Overview Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care pain in adults pain in children warning signs Underlying Cause

Burns Chemical Treatment

The treatment for chemical burns depends upon the location, severity, and cause. Minor chemical burns require careful wound care, dressings that protect the injured skin, and pain medication. Depending on the type of chemical causing the burn, treatment with a substance that neutralizes the chemical might be helpful. Chemical burns to the eyes, genitals, hand, feet, or face, third degree burns, and burns that cover a large area usually require treatment at a burn center. A burn center is specially equipped to meet the needs of severely burned patients. Treatment for severe chemical burns includes admission to the hospital for special wound care, intravenous fluids, and narcotic pain medications. Treatment for third degree burns may include skin grafts. Those with chemical burns that cause severe scarring, muscle damage or nerve damage may require extended time in a rehabilitation center and physical therapy.

Treatment for chemical burns may include:

Burns Chemical Specialist

Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat chemical burns:

Continue to Burns Chemical Home Care

Last Updated: Jun 6, 2011 References
Authors: Stephen J. Schueler, MD; John H. Beckett, MD; D. Scott Gettings, MD
Copyright DSHI Systems, Inc. Powered by: FreeMD - Your Virtual Doctor

PubMed Burns Chemical References
  1. Hettiaratchy S, Dziewulski P. ABC of burns: pathophysiology and types of burns. BMJ. 2004 Jun 12;328(7453):1427-9. Erratum in: BMJ. 2004 Jul 17;329(7458):148. [15191982]
  2. Peate WF. Work-related eye injuries and illnesses. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Apr 1;75(7):1017-22. [17427615]
FreeMD is provided for information purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for evaluation and treatment by a physician. Please review our terms of use.