Burn Hot Pepper Types
There are a many types of hot peppers. The hotness of each type of pepper is rated by a system called the Scoville Heat Units (SHU). Peppers with higher SHU are more likely to cause burns.
|Type of Pepper||SHU Rating|
|New Mexico Red Pepper||500-1,500|
- Balaban CD, McBurney DH, Affeltranger MA. Three distinct categories of time course of pain produced by oral capsaicin. J Pain. 2005 May;6(5):315-22. 
- Magnusson BM, Koskinen LO. Effects of topical application of capsaicin to human skin: a comparison of effects evaluated by visual assessment, sensation registration, skin blood flow and cutaneous impedance measurements. Acta Derm Venereol. 1996 Mar;76(2):129-32. 
- McBurney DH, Balaban CD, Popp JR, Rosenkranz JE. Adaptation to capsaicin burn: effects of concentration and individual differences. Physiol Behav. 2001 Jan;72(1-2):205-16. 
- Nasrawi CW, Pangborn RM. Temporal effectiveness of mouth-rinsing on capsaicin mouth-burn. Physiol Behav. 1990 Apr;47(4):617-23. 
- Robinson MK, Perkins MA. Evaluation of a quantitative clinical method for assessment of sensory skin irritation. Contact Dermatitis. 2001 Oct;45(4):205-13.