Bunion Underlying Cause
Bunions are most commonly caused by footwear that places pressure against the base of the first toe.
Types of footwear that may cause bunions include:
- Shoes that are too narrow
- Shoes that are too small
- High-heeled shoes
Bunions may also be caused by abnormalities in the structure of the foot.
Causes of abnormal foot structure include:
- Ferrari J, Higgins JP, Prior TD. Interventions for treating hallux valgus (abductovalgus) and bunions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD000964. 
- Ferrari J. Bunions. Clin Evid. 2004 Jun;(11):1404-16. 
- Robinson AH, Limbers JP. Modern concepts in the treatment of hallux valgus. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Aug;87(8):1038-45. 
- Trnka HJ. Osteotomies for hallux valgus correction. Foot Ankle Clin. 2005 Mar;10(1):15-33.