Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Outlook
What to expect with bronchopulmonary dysplasia:
- Children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia usually improve with time.
- Some children with BPD continue to have poor lung function into adulthood.
- Pneumonia, recurrent respiratory infections and lung scarring are common.
- Minor childhood infections can cause serious illness in infants who have BPD.
- Infants who have BPD grow more slowly than normal.
Continue to Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Underlying Cause
- Grier DG, Halliday HL. Management of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in infants: guidelines for corticosteroid use. Drugs. 2005;65(1):15-29. 
- Northway WH Jr: Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: twenty-five years later. Pediatrics 1992 May; 89(5 Pt 1): 969-73. 
- Pierce MR, Bancalari E: The role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatr Pulmonol 1995 Jun; 19(6): 371-8. 
- Van Marter LJ. Strategies for preventing bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2005 Apr;17(2):174-80.