Bronchopneumonia Cough in Adults
Home treatment of a cough in adults with pneumonia includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Continue to Bronchopneumonia Cough in Children
- Chetty K, Thomson AH. Management of community-acquired pneumonia in children. Paediatr Drugs. 2007;9(6):401-11. 
- Feldman C, Anderson R. Controversies in the treatment of pneumococcal community-acquired pneumonia. Future Microbiol. 2006 Oct;1:271-81. 
- Kumar P, McKean MC. Evidence based paediatrics: review of BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in children. J Infect. 2004 Feb;48(2):134-8. 
- Maestro B, Sanz JM. Novel approaches to fight Streptococcus pneumoniae. Recent Patents Anti-Infect Drug Disc. 2007 Nov;2(3):188-96. 
- Mckean MC. Evidence based medicine: review of BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults. J Infect. 2002 Nov;45(4):213-8. 
- Niederman MS. Review of treatment guidelines for community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Med. 2004 Aug 2;117 Suppl 3A:51S-57S. 
- Pugh RN, Omar RI, Hossain MM. Varicella infection and pneumonia among adults. Int J Infect Dis. 1998 Apr-Jun;2(4):205-10. 
- Vila-Corcoles A. Advances in pneumococcal vaccines: what are the advantages for the elderly? Drugs Aging. 2007;24(10):791-800.