Broken Skull Overview
Another name for Broken Skull is Skull Fracture.
What is a skull fracture?
A person with a skull fracture has broken one of the bones that make up the skull. A broken bone located at the base of the skull is called a basilar skull fracture. About 1 out of 6500 people suffer a skull fracture in the US each year.
What are the symptoms of a skull fracture?
Symptoms of a skull fracture may include scalp swelling, scalp bruising, a scalp wound, headache, nausea, or vomiting. In someone with a severe skull fracture, symptoms may also include a deformed skull. Symptoms of a brain injury include loss of consciousness, seizure, or coma.
How does the doctor treat a skull fracture?
Treatment for a skull fracture may include wound care, cold compresses, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Treatment for an injury to the brain may require corticosteroid medications, medications for seizures, or surgery.
Continue to Broken Skull Incidence
- Bullock MR, Chesnut R, Ghajar J, Gordon D, Hartl R, Newell DW, Servadei F, Walters BC, Wilberger J; Surgical Management of Traumatic Brain Injury Author Group. Surgical management of depressed cranial fractures. Neurosurgery. 2006 Mar;58(3 Suppl):S56-60; discussion Si-iv. 
- Edwards P, Arango M, Balica L, et al. CRASH trial collaborators. Final results of MRC CRASH, a randomised placebo-controlled trial of intravenous corticosteroid in adults with head injury-outcomes at 6 months. Lancet. 2005 Jun 4-10;365(9475):1957-9. 
- Grappling with traumatic brain injury. Lancet. 2007 Dec 8;370(9603):1879. 
- Lee AC, Ou Y, Fong D. Depressed skull fractures: a pattern of abusive head injury in three older children. Child Abuse Negl. 2003 Nov;27(11):1323-9. 
- McKinley J. New challenges in assessing and managing concussion in sports. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Oct 1;76(7):948-9. 
- Ropper AH, Gorson KC. N Engl J Med. 2007 Jan 11;356(2):166-72. Review. No abstract available. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2007 Apr 26;356(17):1794. 
- Smits M, Dippel DW, de Haan GG, Dekker HM, Vos PE, Kool DR, Nederkoorn PJ, Hofman PA, Twijnstra A, Tanghe HL, Hunink MG. External validation of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria for CT scanning in patients with minor head injury. JAMA. 2005 Sep 28;294(12):1519-25. 
- Tender GC, Awasthi D. Risk stratification in mild head injury patients: the head injury predictive index. J La State Med Soc. 2003 Nov-Dec;155(6):338-42.