Brittle Nails Home Care
Home treatment for brittle nails may include:
- Add gelatin to your diet:
- Health food stores may carry gelatin supplements.
- Jell-O is another readily available source of gelatin.
- Avoid nail polish removers.
- Avoid exposure to household chemicals.
- Wear gloves while cleaning.
- Take a multivitamin twice a week.
- Take 2.5 mg of biotin daily.
Brittle Nails Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have brittle nails and any of the following:
Continue to Brittle Nails Underlying Cause
- Dahdah MJ, Scher RK. Nail diseases related to nail cosmetics. Dermatol Clin. 2006 Apr;24(2):233-9, vii. 
- Geyer AS, Onumah N, Uyttendaele H, Scher RK. Modulation of linear nail growth to treat diseases of the nail. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004 Feb;50(2):229-34. 
- van de Kerkhof PC, Pasch MC, Scher RK, Kerscher M, Gieler U, Haneke E, Fleckman P. Brittle nail syndrome: a pathogenesis-based approach with a proposed grading system. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005 Oct;53(4):644-51.