Overview Incidence Risk Factors Evaluation Treatment c-section external version Outlook Underlying Cause Types
Breech Position Types
There are three main types of breech position:
- Frank breech:
- The infant's hips are flexed and the knees are extended, with the feet near the shoulders. The infant's buttocks are delivered through the birth canal first.
- Incomplete breech:
- One, or both, of the infant's hips are flexed. One, or both, of the infant's legs are delivered through the birth canal first.
- Complete Breech:
- Both of the infant's knees are flexed rather than extended. The infant's buttocks are delivered through the birth canal first.
PubMed Breech Position References
- Doyle NM, Riggs JW, Ramin SM, Sosa MA, Gilstrap LC. Outcomes of term vaginal breech delivery. Am J Perinatol. 2005 Aug;22(6):325-8. 
- Ghosh MK. Breech presentation: evolution of management. J Reprod Med. 2005 Feb;50(2):108-16. 
- Hofmeyr GJ. Interventions to help external cephalic version for breech presentation at term. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD000184.