Breath Holding Spell Home Care
Home care of a breath-holding spell includes:
- Time the breath-holding spell.
- During the spell:
- Apply a cold, wet washcloth to the child's forehead.
- Lay the child flat on his or her back to improve blood flow to the brain.
- Remain calm.
- After the spell:
- Give the child a hug.
- Continue with what you were doing prior to the attack.
Breath Holding Spell Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a breath-holding spell and any of the following:
Continue to Breath Holding Spell Outlook
- Kelly AM, Porter CJ, McGoon MD, Espinosa RE, Osborn MJ, Hayes DL. Breath-holding spells associated with significant bradycardia: successful treatment with permanent pacemaker implantation. Pediatrics. 2001 Sep;108(3):698-702. 
- Okada K, Miyako M, Honma S, Wakabayashi Y, Sugihara S, Osawa M. Discharge diagnoses in infants with apparent life-threatening event. Pediatr Int. 2003 Oct;45(5):560-3. 
- Peterson AL, Campise RL, Azrin NH: Behavioral and pharmacological treatments for tic and habit disorders: a review. J Dev Behav Pediatr 1994 Dec; 15(6): 430-41.