Breast Fat Necrosis Home Care
Home care for breast fat necrosis includes:
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Perform breast self-examinations.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Acetaminophen for pain
Breast cancer is curable if it is detected very early. This is why a regular screening program is so important.
Breast cancer screening:
Breast Fat Necrosis Breast Self Exam
Monthly breast self-examination and routine mammography in someone who has breast fat necrosis helps detect breast cancer early.
There are two steps to breast self-examination: inspection and palpation.
- Standing in front of a mirror, inspect all aspect of the breasts for any changes in size, shape, contour, or symmetry. Place close attention to any skin dimpling, discoloration, or change in the nipple.
- Palpation: examination through touching may be performed while standing in the shower, or when lying flat, with a folded towel placed behind the back on the side you are examining. Palpation is performed with the fingertips of the index, middle, and ring fingers. Systematically palpate lightly and then more deeply. Carefully knead the tissue in an attempt to detect any change in consistency or a lump. There are several approaches for examining the breast.
- It is important to establish a routine method for palpating the entire breast. This will guarantee no portion of the breast is left unexamined.
- Remember to palpate under the arm for any abnormal swellings or masses.
- You may palpate in a circular path around the nipple, starting at the nipple and then extend outwardly.
- Alternatively, some may wish to divide the breast into imaginary quadrants, or wedges, and then examine each section thoroughly before moving on to the next section.
- Finally, some may wish to examine the breast in rows, starting at the inner aspect and moving to the outside. Any of these methods are fine as long as you find the one that suits you best.
Perform the exam monthly.
Breast Fat Necrosis Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have breast fat necrosis and any of the following:
Continue to Breast Fat Necrosis Outlook
- Crystal P, Bukhanov K. Sonographic findings of palpable isoechoic breast fat necrosis: look for skin integrity. J Ultrasound Med. 2005 Jan;24(1):105-7. 
- Haj M, Loberant N, Salamon V, Cohen I. Membranous fat necrosis of the breast: diagnosis by minimally invasive technique. Breast J. 2004 Nov-Dec;10(6):504-8. 
- Pullyblank AM, Davies JD, Basten J, Rayter Z. Fat necrosis of the female breast--Hadfield re-visited. Breast. 2001 Oct;10(5):388-91.