Breast Abscess Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a breast abscess.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Breast Abscess Specialist
- Khoda J, Lantsberg L, Yegev Y, and Sebbag G: Management of periareolar abscess and mamillary fistula. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1992 Oct; 175(4): 306-8. 
- Meguid MM, Oler A, Numann PJ, Khan S: Pathogenesis-based treatment of recurring subareolar breast abscesses. Surgery 1995 Oct; 118(4): 775-82. 
- Norlock FE. Benign breast pain in women: a practical approach to evaluation and treatment. J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2002 Spring;57(2):85-90. 
- O'Hara RJ, Dexter SP, Fox JN: Conservative management of infective mastitis and breast abscesses after ultrasonographic assessment. Br J Surg 1996 Oct; 83(10): 1413-4. 
- Versluijs-Ossewaarde FN, Roumen RM, Goris RJ. Subareolar breast abscesses: characteristics and results of surgical treatment. Breast J. 2005 May-Jun;11(3):179-82.