Bowel Ischemia Diet
A healthy diet is one of the best ways to prevent atherosclerosis, which can cause ischemic bowel disease. Important dietary measures include:
- Avoid fad diets:
- Eat a well-rounded diet instead.
- Eat enough dietary fiber:
- Whole grains are best.
- Eat quality fats:
- Use virgin olive oil and other unsaturated, low-cholesterol fats.
- Eat the right amount of fats, carbohydrates and protein:
- Limit your fat intake to 20 or 30 percent, but don't substitute simple carbohydrates for fat.
- Limit iron intake:
Ask your doctor about supplementing your diet with B vitamins. Some people may benefit from these supplements.
Continue to Bowel Ischemia Outlook
- Greenwald DA, Brandt LJ, Reinus JF. Ischemic bowel disease in the elderly. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2001 Jun;30(2):445-73. 
- Hansen KJ, Wilson DB, Craven TE, Pearce JD, English WP, Edwards MS, Ayerdi J, Burke GL. Mesenteric artery disease in the elderly. J Vasc Surg. 2004 Jul;40(1):45-52. 
- Leo PJ, Simonian HG. The role of serum phosphate level and acute ischemic bowel disease. Am J Emerg Med. 1996 Jul;14(4):377-9. 
- Schoots IG, Levi MM, Reekers JA, Lameris JS, van Gulik TM. Thrombolytic therapy for acute superior mesenteric artery occlusion. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2005 Mar;16(3):317-29.