Blood Clot Lung Treatment
The initial treatment for a pulmonary embolism includes anticoagulant medications. Additional treatment for a severe pulmonary embolism may include clot-busting medications, called thrombolytic medications.
Treatment options for pulmonary embolism include:
- Oxygen therapy
- Low molecular weight heparin:
- Fondaparinux (Arixtra)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
Treatment for a severe pulmonary embolism may include:
- Thrombolytic therapy for pulmonary embolism:
- Medication that breaks up clots in the bloodstream
- Surgery for pulmonary embolism
- Placement of a filter in the inferior vena cava
- Blood flows form the legs, through the inferior vena cava, before it is pumped to the lungs
- The filter prevents clots from traveling from the legs to the lungs
Blood Clot Lung Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a pulmonary embolism.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having a pulmonary embolism again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Blood Clot Lung Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat a pulmonary embolism:
Continue to Blood Clot Lung Home Care
- Fedullo PF, Tapson VF. Clinical practice. The evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med. 2003 Sep 25;349(13):1247-56. 
- Kruip MJ, Leclercq MG, van der Heul C, Prins MH, Buller HR. Diagnostic strategies for excluding pulmonary embolism in clinical outcome studies. A systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Jun 17;138(12):941-51. 
- Roberts KE, Hamele-Bena D, Saqi A, Stein CA, Cole RP. Pulmonary tumor embolism: a review of the literature. Am J Med. 2003 Aug 15;115(3):228-32. 
- Roy PM, Colombet I, Durieux P, Chatellier G, Sors H, Meyer G. Systematic review and meta-analysis of strategies for the diagnosis of suspected pulmonary embolism. BMJ. 2005 Jul 30;331(7511):259.