Bleeding in the Vitreous Treatment
Treatment for a vitreous hemorrhage usually includes laser therapy to repair the injured retina.
Specific treatment for a vitreous hemorrhage may include:
- Cold compresses
- Limited physical activity
- Avoid anticoagulants and other medications that promote bleeding
- Eye shield for vitreous hemorrhage
- Bed rest:
- With the head of the bed elevated or sitting upright
- Laser photocoagulation for vitreous hemorrhage:
- A laser is used to repair the retina.
- Cryotherapy for vitreous hemorrhage:
- Freezing is used to repair the retina.
- Vitrectomy for vitreous hemorrhage:
- In some cases, surgery is performed to remove blood from within the eye.
Bleeding in the Vitreous Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of vitreous hemorrhage.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having another vitreous hemorrhage?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Bleeding in the Vitreous Specialist
Continue to Bleeding in the Vitreous Warning Signs
- Rabinowitz R, Yagev R, Shoham A, Lifshitz T. Comparison between clinical and ultrasound findings in patients with vitreous hemorrhage. Eye. 2004 Mar;18(3):253-6. 
- Simon J, Sood S, Yoon MK, et al. Vitrectomy for dense vitreous hemorrhage in infancy. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2005 Jan-Feb;42(1):18-22. 
- Spraul CW, Grossniklaus HE. Vitreous Hemorrhage. Surv Ophthalmol. 1997 Jul-Aug;42(1):3-39.