Bite from a Rodent Home Care
Home care for rodent bites includes:
- Clean the bite:
- Use mild soap and water.
- Running water can help remove dirt.
- Gently dab the bite with hydrogen peroxide to remove clotted blood.
- Do not scrub the bite.
- Remove dirt or foreign material from the bite.
- Clean the bite 3 times a day
- Apply antibiotic ointment.
- Cover the wound:
- Use gauze or an elastic bandage.
- Keep the bite clean and dry.
- Rest the injured area.
- Elevate the injured area.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Ibuprofen for pain
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Notify Animal Control Services
Bite from a Rodent Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a rodent bite and any of the following:
- Worsening pain at the site
- Worsening redness around the bite
- Worsening tenderness around the bite
- Pus draining from the wound
- Worsening skin redness and pain:
- Cellulitis of the face
- Cellulitis of the ear
- Cellulitis of the arm
- Cellulitis of the hand
- Cellulitis of the leg
- Cellulitis of the foot
- Cellulitis of the abdomen
- Cellulitis of the breast
- Red streaks spreading from the wound:
- Lymphangitis of the arm
- Lymphangitis of the back of the leg
- Lymphangitis of the hand from a finger wound
- Swollen lymph glands above the bite:
Continue to Bite from a Rodent Underlying Cause
- Brook I. Management of human and animal bite wounds: an overview. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2005 May;18(4):197-203. 
- Brook I. Microbiology and management of human and animal bite wound infections. Prim Care. 2003 Mar;30(1):25-39, v. 
- Talan DA, Citron DM, Abrahamian FM, Moran GJ, Goldstein EJ. Bacteriologic analysis of infected dog and cat bites. Emergency Medicine Animal Bite Infection Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1999 Jan 14;340(2):85-92. 
- Wolff KD. Management of animal bite injuries of the face: experience with 94 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998 Jul;56(7):838-43.