Bite from a Dog Rabies
Animals that may carry rabies include:
Rodents and rabbits rarely carry rabies.
Dogs and cats can carry rabies if they are not up-to-date on rabies vaccinations. However, rabies is very rare in dogs and cats. Animal Control personnel decide whether an animal should be observed for signs of rabies over a 10 day period. The animal is considered safe if it does not show signs of rabies over the 10 day period. If the animal cannot be captured, the Animal Control officer and physician will decide whether rabies vaccines should be given to someone who has been bitten.
Continue to Bite from a Dog Tetanus
- Brook I. Management of human and animal bite wounds: an overview. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2005 May;18(4):197-203. 
- Brook I. Microbiology and management of human and animal bite wound infections. Prim Care. 2003 Mar;30(1):25-39, v. 
- Correira K. Managing dog, cat, and human bite wounds. JAAPA. 2003 Apr;16(4):28-32, 34, 37. 
- Talan DA, Citron DM, Abrahamian FM, Moran GJ, Goldstein EJ. Bacteriologic analysis of infected dog and cat bites. Emergency Medicine Animal Bite Infection Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1999 Jan 14;340(2):85-92. 
- Wolff KD. Management of animal bite injuries of the face: experience with 94 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998 Jul;56(7):838-43.