Bird Handlers Disease Underlying Cause
Psittacosis is caused by the bacteria, Chlamydia psittaci.
This bacteria is spread to humans from birds by two methods:
- Ingestion of contaminated feces
- Inhalation of infected particles in the air
Exotic pet birds are usually the source of psittacosis infection in humans. Poultry and turkeys in the US have also been sources for infection.
- Crosse BA. Psittacosis: a clinical review. J Infect. 1990 Nov;21(3):251-9. 
- Gregory DW, Schaffner W. Psittacosis. Semin Respir Infect. 1997 Mar;12(1):7-11. 
- Schlossberg D, Delgado J, Moore MM, Wishner A, Mohn J. An epidemic of avian and human psittacosis. Arch Intern Med. 1993 Nov 22;153(22):2594-6.