Bibasilar Atelectasis Home Care
Home care for atelectasis includes:
- Avoid narcotic pain medications.
- Avoid sedatives.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Practice breathing deeply before surgery.
- Perform deep breathing exercises:
- After surgery
- After injuries to the chest
- Use cough medications:
- Only as directed by your doctor.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Bibasilar Atelectasis Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have atelectasis and any of the following:
Continue to Bibasilar Atelectasis Outlook
- Duggan M, Kavanagh BP. Pulmonary atelectasis: a pathogenic perioperative entity. Anesthesiology. 2005 Apr;102(4):838-54. 
- Kreider ME, Lipson DA. Bronchoscopy for atelectasis in the ICU: a case report and review of the literature. Chest. 2003 Jul;124(1):344-50. 
- Peroni DG, Boner AL. Atelectasis: mechanisms, diagnosis and management. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2000 Sep;1(3):274-8.