Treatment of beriberi is done with Vitamin B1 supplementation.
Treatment for beriberi includes:
- Vitamin B1 supplement:
- Oral supplements
Beriberi Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of beriberi.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Beriberi Home Care
- Diamond I, Messing RO: Neurologic effects of alcoholism. West J Med 1994 Sep; 161(3): 279-87. 
- Donnino M. Gastrointestinal beriberi: a previously unrecognized syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Dec 7;141(11):898-9. 
- Fletcher RH, Fairfield KM. Vitamins for chronic disease prevention in adults: clinical applications. JAMA. 2002 Jun 19;287(23):3127-9.