Benign Tremor Home Care
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Avoid stimulants:
- Regular exercise program
- Reduce stress.
- Drink alcohol in moderation:
- For men: no more than 2 alcoholic beverages per day
- For women: no more than 1 alcoholic beverage per day
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
Benign Tremor Stress
- Accept what you cannot change.
- Ask for help if you need it.
- Associate with people you enjoy and who treat you well.
- Consider life as challenges to seek not obstacles to avoid.
- Do not be dominated by one thing such as work or relationships.
- Do not feel guilty when you have to say "no" to extra duties or tasks. Respect your limitations.
- Energize your body with regular exercise.
- Engage in hobbies.
- Find the joy in giving.
- Fuel your body with healthy foods, and avoid drugs and alcohol.
- Get a regular fresh air and sunshine.
- Have the courage to be imperfect.
- Keep your sleep habits regular.
- Make a list of all the stresses that cause you distress. Dispose of the ones you can and reduce your exposure to the others as much as possible.
- Pamper yourself with simple pleasures that give you joy.
- Practice relaxation and meditation.
- Realize that you are responsible for how you feel.
- Reevaluate and rearrange your priorities.
- Remember it is all right to cry.
- Schedule time for fun. Laughter dissolves tension.
- Seek professional help with overwhelming hard to solve problems.
- Take a few minutes of quiet time each day just for you to rejuvenate.
- Talking with someone you trust can be the best medicine.
- Try new experiences.
- Strictly avoiding stimulants may help many people. This includes substances such as:
Benign Tremor Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have benign essential tremor syndrome and any of the following:
Continue to Benign Tremor Outlook
- Chouinard S, Louis ED, Fahn S: Agreement among movement disorder specialists on the clinical diagnosis of essential tremor. Mov Disord 1997 Nov; 12(6): 973-6. 
- Ferreira J, Sampaio C. Essential tremor. Clin Evid. 2005 Jun;(13):1608-21. 
- Jain S, Lo SE, Louis ED. Common misdiagnosis of a common neurological disorder: how are we misdiagnosing essential tremor? Arch Neurol. 2006 Aug;63(8):1100-4. 
- Louis ED, Ford B, Lee H: Diagnostic criteria for essential tremor: a population perspective. Arch Neurol 1998 Jun; 55(6): 823-8. 
- Louis ED, Vonsattel JP, Honig LS, Ross GW, Lyons KE, Pahwa R. Neuropathologic findings in essential tremor. Neurology. 2006 Jun 13;66(11):1756-9. 
- Wasielewski PG, Burns JM, Koller WC: Pharmacologic treatment of tremor. Mov Disord 1998; 13 Suppl 3: 90-100.