Benign Breast Disease in Males Underlying Cause
Gynecomastia is the most common type of benign breast disease in males. It is general swelling of breast tissue, usually caused by increased estrogen hormone levels in the body. Estrogens may be in medications, foods or dietary supplements. Gynecomastia usually occurs in males in their thirties. Adolescents and older males can also develop gynecomastia.
Other less common types of male breast disease include fibroadenoma or juvenile fibroadenoma. These conditions usually occur in younger men.
Estrogen stimulation, a benign tumor, or medication can cause a breast nipple discharge in males.
Infection of the breast tissue, called mastitis, is common in females. It can occur due to a local skin injury, such as a bruise or insect sting. The skin around the breast area can become infected and cause an abscess or cellulitis. Mastitis is rare in males.
Continue to Benign Breast Disease in Males Anatomy
- Appelbaum AH, Evans GF, Levy KR, et al: Mammographic appearances of male breast disease. Radiographics 1999 May-Jun; 19(3): 559-68 . 
- Carmalt HL, Mann LJ, Kennedy CW, et al: Carcinoma of the male breast: a review and recommendations for management. Aust N Z J Surg 1998 Oct; 68(10): 712-5 
- Dehner LP, Hill DA, Deschryver K: Pathology of the breast in children, adolescents, and young adults. Semin Diagn Pathol 1999 Aug; 16(3): 235-47. 
- Giordano SH, Perkins GH, Broglio K, Garcia SG, Middleton LP, Buzdar AU, Hortobagyi GN. Adjuvant systemic therapy for male breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2005 Dec 1;104(11):2359-64. 
- Greydanus DE, Parks DS, Farrell EG: Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am 1989 Jun; 36(3): 601-38. 
- Hsing AW, McLaughlin JK, Cocco P, Co Chien HT, Fraumeni JF Jr. Risk factors for male breast cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 1998 May;9(3):269-75. 
- Pacinda SJ, Ramzy I. Fine-needle aspiration of breast masses. A review of its role in diagnosis and management in adolescent patients. J Adolesc Health. 1998 Jul;23(1):3-6. 
- Stewart RA, Howlett DC, Hearn FJ: Pictorial review: the imaging features of male breast disease. Clin Radiol 1997 Oct; 52(10): 739-44.