Benign Breast Cyst in Males Overview
Another name for Benign Breast Cyst in Males is Benign Breast Disease in Males.
What is benign breast disease in males?
Benign breast disease is a term that describes a class of breast ailments that can cause breast lumps or breast pain, but are not breast cancer. A male with benign breast disease has non-cancerous lumps in the breast. Breast disease is far less common in men than in women. Gynecomastia is the most common type of benign breast disease in males.
What are the symptoms of benign breast disease in males?
Common symptoms of benign breast disease in males include breast lumps, breast pain, breast enlargement, and nipple discharge.
How does the doctor treat benign breast disease in males?
Treatment for benign breast disease in males depends on the underlying cause. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications may be used for pain control. Minor breast surgery may be performed to remove a breast lump and test it for cancer.
Continue to Benign Breast Cyst in Males Symptoms
- Appelbaum AH, Evans GF, Levy KR, et al: Mammographic appearances of male breast disease. Radiographics 1999 May-Jun; 19(3): 559-68 . 
- Carmalt HL, Mann LJ, Kennedy CW, et al: Carcinoma of the male breast: a review and recommendations for management. Aust N Z J Surg 1998 Oct; 68(10): 712-5 
- Dehner LP, Hill DA, Deschryver K: Pathology of the breast in children, adolescents, and young adults. Semin Diagn Pathol 1999 Aug; 16(3): 235-47. 
- Giordano SH, Perkins GH, Broglio K, Garcia SG, Middleton LP, Buzdar AU, Hortobagyi GN. Adjuvant systemic therapy for male breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2005 Dec 1;104(11):2359-64. 
- Greydanus DE, Parks DS, Farrell EG: Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am 1989 Jun; 36(3): 601-38. 
- Hsing AW, McLaughlin JK, Cocco P, Co Chien HT, Fraumeni JF Jr. Risk factors for male breast cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 1998 May;9(3):269-75. 
- Pacinda SJ, Ramzy I. Fine-needle aspiration of breast masses. A review of its role in diagnosis and management in adolescent patients. J Adolesc Health. 1998 Jul;23(1):3-6. 
- Stewart RA, Howlett DC, Hearn FJ: Pictorial review: the imaging features of male breast disease. Clin Radiol 1997 Oct; 52(10): 739-44.