Bedbug Bites Home Care
Home care for bedbug bites is directed at controlling symptoms and may include:
- Avoid scratching
- Oral antihistamines for itching:
- Launder all bed clothes and bedding materials to at least 97 degrees F (36 C.)
- Obtain insecticides to kill them in the home. Hire an insect exterminator.
- Vacuum daily and dispose of vacuum bags or freeze them for at least 24 hours to kill the bedbugs.
General home treatment measures for itching include:
- Avoid exposure to substances that cause itching.
- Apply cold compresses:
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours
- Clean the skin gently:
- Use mild soap and water.
- Do not scrub the skin.
- Dry the skin.
- Take a cool bath or shower.
- Consider using colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno) in the bath.
Medications for itching include:
Bedbug Bites Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have bedbug bites and any of the following:
- Persistent itching for more than 2 weeks after treatment
- Red rash that forms yellow or brown scabs
- Fever over 101 degrees F (38.3 C)
- Worsening rash
- Worsening skin redness and pain:
- Brouqui P, Raoult D. Arthropod-borne diseases in homeless. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 Oct;1078:223-35. Review. 
- Cleary CJ, Buchanan D.Diagnosis and management of bedbugs: an emerging U.S. Infestation. Nurse Pract. 2004 Jun;29(6):46-8. Review.