Basilar Migraine Treatment
Treatment for a basilar migraine headache includes medication, rest, scalp massage, and the application of cold compresses to the scalp. Medications may reduce the pain during a basilar migraine, help avoid an oncoming migraine, or reduce the frequency of migraine headaches.
Treatment options for an acute migraine headache include:
- Triptan medications for migraine:
- Almotriptan (Axert)
- Eletriptan (Relpax)
- Frovatriptan (Frova)
- Naratriptan (Amerge)
- Rizatriptan (Maxalt)
- Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
- Zolmitriptan (Zomig)
- Sumatriptan and naproxen (Treximet)
- Dihydroergotamine (Migranal)
- Ergotamine tartrate and caffeine (Cafergot)
- Butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine (Fiorinal)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine)
- Metoclopramide (Reglan)
- Promethazine (Phenergan)
- Butorphanol nasal spray (Stadol NS)
- Chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Cold compresses
- Scalp massage for migraine headaches
Treatment options to prevent migraine headaches include:
- Calcium channel blockers:
- High blood pressure medications:
- Anti-seizure medications:
- Cyproheptadine (Periactin)
- Antidepressant medications:
- Onabotulinumtoxin A (Botox)
Basilar Migraine Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a basilar migraine.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having migraine headaches?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Basilar Migraine Home Care
- Schott GD. Exploring the visual hallucinations of migraine aura: the tacit contribution of illustration. Brain. 2007 Jun;130(Pt 6):1690-703. Epub 2007 Jan 30. 
- Welch KM. Contemporary concepts of migraine pathogenesis. Neurology. 2003 Oct 28;61(8 Suppl 4):S2-8.: