Prevention for balantidiasis includes:
- Travelers to developing countries:
- Drink bottled water only.
- Purify drinking water by boiling if bottled water is not available.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Last Updated: Dec 1, 2010 References
Authors: Stephen J. Schueler, MD; John H. Beckett, MD; D. Scott Gettings, MD
Copyright DSHI Systems, Inc. Powered by: FreeMD - Your Virtual Doctor
PubMed Balantidiasis References
- Aucott JN, Ravdin JI: Amebiasis and "nonpathogenic" intestinal protozoa. Infect Dis Clin North Am 1993 Sep; 7(3): 467-85. 
- Kamberoglou D, Savva S, Adraskelas N, Yannitsiotis A, Cocca E. Balantidiasis complicating a case of ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990 Jun;85(6):765-6.