Bad Stomach Ache Constipation
Home care for constipation in adults with abdominal pain includes:
- Avoid enemas and laxatives unless your doctor directs you to do so.
- Avoid foods that seem to cause constipation. Cheese, white flour and white rice can trigger constipation.
- Avoid straining while you use the toilet: this can cause hemorrhoids.
- Do not ignore the urge to move your bowels.
- Drink more water.
- Eat more fiber, such as fruits, vegetables and fiber supplements, such as Metamucil.
- Get regular exercise.
- Small amounts of caffeine can have a mild laxative effect.
Continue to Bad Stomach Ache Diarrhea
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Acute abdominal pain. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. 
- Holten KB, Wetherington A, Bankston L. Diagnosing the patient with abdominal pain and altered bowel habits: is it irritable bowel syndrome? Am Fam Physician. 2003 May 15;67(10):2157-62. 
- Jones PF. Suspected acute appendicitis: trends in management over 30 years. Br J Surg. 2001 Dec;88(12):1570-7. 
- Lozeau AM, Potter B. Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Nov 1;72(9):1707-14. 
- Macari M, Balthazar EJ. The acute right lower quadrant: CT evaluation.Radiol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;41(6):1117-36. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi. 
- Nagurney JT, Brown DF, Chang Y, Sane S, Wang AC, Weiner JB. Use of diagnostic testing in the emergency department for patients presenting with non-traumatic abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):363-71. 
- Old JL, Dusing RW, Yap W, Dirks J. Imaging for suspected appendicitis. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jan 1;71(1):71-8. Review. 
- Olden KW. Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2002 May;122(6):1701-14.
- Warren O, Kinross J, Paraskeva P, Darzi A. Emergency laparoscopy - current best practice. World J Emerg Surg. 2006 Aug 31;1(1):24