Bad Breath Treatment
The treatment for halitosis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for halitosis usually includes drinking plenty of water, good oral hygiene, regular dental cleanings, vitamin supplements, brush tongue twice a day, saltwater gargles, and mouthwash. Some may benefit from antibiotics.
Treatment options for halitosis include:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Maintain good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth after meals and at bedtime.
- Floss your teeth every day.
- Gargle with dilute saltwater three times per day.
- See your dentist every 6 months.
- Brush with tartar control toothpaste.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper once a day.
- Brush your tongue back to front after brushing your teeth
- Use mouthwash after brushing
- Using mouthwash prior to bedtime, because the bacterial activity leading to bad breath is greatest during the nighttime.
- Chew sugarless gum.
Bad Breath Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat halitosis:
Continue to Bad Breath Home Care
- Feller L, Blignaut E. Halitosis: a review. SADJ. 2005 Feb;60(1):17-9. 
- Tangerman A. Halitosis in medicine: a review. Int Dent J. 2002 Jun;52 Suppl 3:201-6.