Bacterial Gastroenteritis Salmonella Prevention
Prevention of Salmonella infection includes:
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Avoid eating raw clams or oysters.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
- Do not share food utensils.
- Wash vegetables or fruits thoroughly.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, seafood, or poultry.
- Make sure all meat, poultry, fish products, and eggs are well cooked.
- Re-heat leftover foods thoroughly.
- Travelers can take 2 tablets of Pepto-Bismol with each meal and at bedtime.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Continue to Bacterial Gastroenteritis Salmonella Outlook
- Hohmann EL. Nontyphoidal salmonellosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Jan 15;32(2):263-9. 
- Rabsch W, Tschape H, Baumler AJ. Non-typhoidal salmonellosis: emerging problems. Microbes Infect. 2001 Mar;3(3):237-47. 
- Trevejo RT, Courtney JG, Starr M, Vugia DJ. Epidemiology of salmonellosis in California, 1990-1999: morbidity, mortality, and hospitalization costs. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jan 1;157(1):48-57.