Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care diarrhea in adults diarrhea in children pain and fever adults pain and fever children vomiting in adults vomiting in children warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Transmission Anatomy
Bacterial Gastroenteritis Salmonella Incidence
Facts about Salmonella infection:
- About 1 out of 125 people in the US are infected with salmonella each year in the US.
- Salmonella infections are most common in people over 70, or under 20, years of age.
- Each year, about 55 salmonella outbreaks are reported in the US.
PubMed Bacterial Gastroenteritis Salmonella References
- Hohmann EL. Nontyphoidal salmonellosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Jan 15;32(2):263-9. 
- Rabsch W, Tschape H, Baumler AJ. Non-typhoidal salmonellosis: emerging problems. Microbes Infect. 2001 Mar;3(3):237-47. 
- Trevejo RT, Courtney JG, Starr M, Vugia DJ. Epidemiology of salmonellosis in California, 1990-1999: morbidity, mortality, and hospitalization costs. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jan 1;157(1):48-57.