Bacterial Endocarditis Treatment
- Antibiotics for bacterial endocarditis:
- Long term intravenous therapy
- Ampicillin (Omnipen, Principen)
- Penicillin G (Pfizerpen)
- Ceftriaxone (Rocephin)
- Gentamicin (Garamycin)
- Cefazolin (Ancef, Kefzol, Zolicef)
- Vancomycin (Vancocin)
- Nafcillin (Unipen, Nafcil)
- Oxacillin (Bactocill, Prostaphlin)
- Linezolid (Zyvox)
- Surgery for bacterial endocarditis:
- To repair severely damaged heart valves
Bacterial Endocarditis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of bacterial endocarditis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Bacterial Endocarditis Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat bacterial endocarditis:
Continue to Bacterial Endocarditis Home Care
- Bayer AS, Bolger AF, Taubert KA: Diagnosis and Management of Infective Endocarditis and Its Complications. Circulation 1998; 98: 2936-48. 
- Calza L, Manfredi R, Chiodo F. Infective endocarditis: a review of the best treatment options. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2004 Sep;5(9):1899-916. 
- Tak T, Dhawan S, Reynolds C, Shukla SK. Current diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2003 Dec;1(4):639-54. 
- Wilson WR, Karchmer AW, Dajani AS: Antibiotic treatment of adults with infective endocarditis due to streptococci, enterococci, staphylococci, and HACEK microorganisms. American Heart Association. JAMA 1995 Dec 6; 274(21): 1706-13.