Babesiosis Tick Removal
A tick can be removed safely in the following manner:
- Grasp the neck or head of the tick with tweezers. Do not squeeze the body.
- Pull slowly, and straight out. Do not twist the head.
- Remove remaining mouth parts by cleaning with alcohol and scraping with a knife, blade or sterile needle.
- Clean the wound with soap and water.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment.
- See a doctor within 24 hours if you cannot remove a tick.
Continue to Babesiosis Warning Signs
- Bratton RL, Corey R. Tick-borne disease. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jun 15;71(12):2323-30. 
- Dhaliwal G, Cornett PA, Tierney LM Jr. Hemolytic anemia. Am Fam Physician. 2004 Jun 1;69(11):2599-606. 
- Krause PJ. Babesiosis. Med Clin North Am. 2002 Mar;86(2):361-73. 
- Weiss LM. Babesiosis in humans: a treatment review. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2002 Aug;3(8):1109-15.