AVN (avascular necrosis of the hip) Treatment
Treatment for avascular necrosis of the hip includes strategies to take stress off the hip joint, such as crutches or a walker. Medications may be given to reduce bone loss from osteoporosis. Other medications include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents and narcotic pain medications. Ultimately, hip surgery may be necessary to replace the hip joint.
Treatment for avascular necrosis of the hip may include:
- Reduce stress on the hip:
- Limited weight bearing
- Use a walker.
- Use crutches.
- Use a cane.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication
- Medications to prevent bone loss:
- Therapy with statin medications to prevent corticosteroid-induced AVN
- Surgery for avascular necrosis of the hip
- To reduce swelling or pressure inside the hip joint
- Total hip joint replacement
- Physical therapy for avascular necrosis of the hip
AVN (avascular necrosis of the hip) Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of avascular necrosis of the hip.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
AVN (avascular necrosis of the hip) Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat avascular necrosis of the hip:
Continue to AVN (avascular necrosis of the hip) Home Care
- Balakrishnan A, Schemitsch EH, Pearce D, McKee MD. Distinguishing transient osteoporosis of the hip from avascular necrosis. Can J Surg. 2003 Jun;46(3):187-92. 
- Desai MM, Sonone S, Bhasme V. Efficacy of alendronate in the treatment of avascular necrosis of the hip. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005 Jun 21. 
- Watson RM, Roach NA, Dalinka MK. Avascular necrosis and bone marrow edema syndrome. Radiol Clin North Am. 2004 Jan;42(1):207-19.