Avian Influenza Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of bird flu.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Avian Influenza Specialist
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Update: Influenza activity--United States and worldwide, 2004-05 season. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005 Jul 1;54(25):631-4. 
- Curran R. Asian bird flu. Emerg Med Serv. 2004 May;33(5):38-9. 
- Trampuz A, Prabhu RM, Smith TF, Baddour LM. Avian influenza: a new pandemic threat? Mayo Clin Proc. 2004 Apr;79(4):523-30. 
- Ungchusak K, Auewarakul P, Dowell SF, et al. Probable person-to-person transmission of avian influenza A (H5N1). N Engl J Med. 2005 Jan 27;352(4):333-40.