Avian Flu Outlook
What to expect with bird flu:
- The severity of avian influenza depends on the strain of virus causing the infection.
- The strain of avian influenza in Asia causes severe pneumonia.
- As of October 31 2006, there have been 256 cases of avian influenza from direct contact with infected birds in Asia. Out of those who were infected, 156 died.
Continue to Avian Flu Complications
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Update: Influenza activity--United States and worldwide, 2004-05 season. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005 Jul 1;54(25):631-4. 
- Curran R. Asian bird flu. Emerg Med Serv. 2004 May;33(5):38-9. 
- Trampuz A, Prabhu RM, Smith TF, Baddour LM. Avian influenza: a new pandemic threat? Mayo Clin Proc. 2004 Apr;79(4):523-30. 
- Ungchusak K, Auewarakul P, Dowell SF, et al. Probable person-to-person transmission of avian influenza A (H5N1). N Engl J Med. 2005 Jan 27;352(4):333-40.