Atrium Septal Defect Outlook
What to expect with an atrial septal defect:
- The mortality rate from atrial septal defect is 50% in people who are not treated.
- With early detection, most people have a good prognosis with surgery to correct the defect.
- In the presence of a large defect and pulmonary hypertension, the prognosis is poor.
Continue to Atrium Septal Defect Complications
- Baskett RJ, Tancock E, Ross DB. The gold standard for atrial septal defect closure: current surgical results, with an emphasis on morbidity. Pediatr Cardiol. 2003 Sep-Oct;24(5):444-7. 
- Graham TP Jr, Driscoll DJ, Gersony WM, Newburger JW, Rocchini A, Towbin JA. Task Force 2: congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Apr 19;45(8):1326-33. 
- Moake L, Ramaciotti C. Atrial septal defect treatment options. AACN Clin Issues. 2005 Apr-Jun;16(2):252-66. 
- Pinto FJ. When and how to diagnose patent foramen ovale. Heart. 2005 Apr;91(4):438-40.