Atopic Eczema Prevention
Strategies to prevent symptoms of atopic dermatitis include:
- Avoid substances that trigger atopic dermatitis:
- Adhesive tape
- Creams, lotions, ointments and sunscreen
- Food: shellfish, spices, preservatives
- Metal: belt buckles, jewelry and watches
- Plants: poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak
- Avoid strong soaps or detergents.
- Avoid tight clothing: belts and ties.
- Avoid very hot baths and showers.
- Wear cotton clothing.
Continue to Atopic Eczema Underlying Cause
- Boguniewicz M, Eichenfield LF, Hultsch T. Current management of atopic dermatitis and interruption of the atopic march. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003 Dec;112(6 Suppl):S140-50. 
- Devereux G, Seaton A. Diet as a risk factor for atopy and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005 Jun;115(6):1109-17. 
- Leung DY, Boguniewicz M, Howell MD, Nomura I, Hamid QA. New insights into atopic dermatitis. J Clin Invest. 2004 Mar;113(5):651-7. 
- Williams HC. Clinical practice. Atopic dermatitis. N Engl J Med. 2005 Jun 2;352(22):2314-24.