Asbestosis Risk Factors
Asbestos was used as an insulating material for buildings and electrical wires. Asbestos has also been used in the manufacturing of fire-resistant clothing, cement and floor tiles, brake linings, and clutch linings. Although the use of asbestos has decreased, it is still used in the manufacturing of brake linings, and asbestos insulation remains in many workplaces and homes.
Occupational risk factors for asbestosis include the following:
- Construction workers
- Pipe fitters
- Products made from asbestos
Continue to Asbestosis Symptoms
- Cugell DW, Kamp DW. Asbestos and the pleura: aChest. 2004 Mar;125(3):1103-17. 
- Hessel PA, Gamble JF, McDonald JC. Asbestos, asbestosis, and lung cancer: a critical assessment of the epidemiological evidence. Thorax. 2005 May;60(5):433-6. 
- Niklinski J, Niklinska W, Chyczewska E, Laudanski J, Naumnik W, Chyczewski L, Pluygers E. The epidemiology of asbestos-related diseases. Lung Cancer. 2004 Aug;45 Suppl 1:S7-S15. 
- Ohar J, Sterling DA, Bleecker E, Donohue J. Changing patterns in asbestos-induced lung disease. Chest. 2004 Feb;125(2):744-53.