Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Arm Swelling after Mastectomy Evaluation
- Arm swelling (unilateral):
- Rings do not fit
- Rings will not come off
- Wristwatch is too tight
- Arm tenderness
The diagnosis of post mastectomy arm swelling is made during physical exam. Occasionally, test may be required to investigate additional causes for the arm swelling.
Tests that may be used to evaluate post mastectomy arm swelling include:
Continue to Arm Swelling after Mastectomy Treatment
PubMed Arm Swelling after Mastectomy References
- Galland C, Auvert JF, Flahault A, Vayssairat M. Why and how post-mastectomy edema should be quantified in patients with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002 Sep;75(1):87-9. 
- Geller BM, Vacek PM, O'Brien P, Secker-Walker RH. Factors associated with arm swelling after breast cancer surgery. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2003 Nov;12(9):921-30. 
- Johansson K, Tibe K, Weibull A, Newton RC. Low intensity resistance exercise for breast cancer patients with arm lymphedema with or without compression sleeve. Lymphology. 2005 Dec;38(4):167-80. 
- O'Brien JG, Chennubhotla SA, Chennubhotla RV. Treatment of edema. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jun 1;71(11):2111-7. 
- Schulze T, Mucke J, Markwardt J, Schlag PM, Bembenek A. Long-term morbidity of patients with early breast cancer after sentinel lymph node biopsy compared to axillary lymph node dissection. J Surg Oncol. 2006 Feb 1;93(2):109-19.