Arbovirus Infection Overview
What is an arbovirus infection?
People with an arbovirus infection have a viral illness that is transmitted by the bite of a mosquito or tick. Examples of arbovirus infections include Dengue fever, yellow fever, and West Nile virus.
What are the symptoms of an arbovirus infection?
The most common symptoms of an arbovirus infection include body aches, fever, chills, and headache. Other symptoms include swollen glands, rash, and vomiting.
How does the doctor treat an arbovirus infection?
Treatment for an arbovirus infection includes general supportive care and fever control. Antiviral medications may be effective in some cases.
Continue to Arbovirus Infection Risk Factors
- Calisher CH. Medically important arboviruses of the United States and Canada. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1994 Jan;7(1):89-116. 
- Drosten C, Gottig S, Schilling S, Asper M, Panning M, Schmitz H, Gunther S. Rapid detection and quantification of RNA of Ebola and Marburg viruses, Lassa virus, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus, Rift Valley fever virus, dengue virus, and yellow fever virus by real-time reverse transcription-PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2002 Jul;40(7):2323-30. 
- Dumpis U, Crook D, Oksi J. Tick-borne encephalitis. Clin Infect Dis. 1999 Apr;28(4):882-90. 
- Isturiz RE, Gubler DJ, Brea del Castillo J. Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever in Latin America and the Caribbean. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2000 Mar;14(1):121-40, ix. 
- Whitley RJ, Gnann JW. Viral encephalitis: familiar infections and emerging pathogens. Lancet. 2002 Feb 9;359(9305):507-13.