Appendix Infection Outlook
What to expect with appendicitis:
- With early surgery, appendicitis rarely causes complications.
- Only about 5 out of 1,000 people who have appendicitis die from the illness. However, these deaths are due to delays in treatment, rather than due to surgery. Most deaths occur in the elderly.
Continue to Appendix Infection Complications
- Alloo J, Gerstle T, Shilyansky J, Ein SH. Appendicitis in children less than 3 years of age. Pediatr Surg Int. 2004 Jan;19(12):777-9. 
- Andersson RE. Meta-analysis of the clinical and laboratory diagnosis of appendicitis. Br J Surg. 2004 Jan;91(1):28-37. 
- Hagendorf BA, Clarke JR, Burd RS. The optimal initial management of children with suspected appendicitis: a decision analysis. J Pediatr Surg. 2004 Jun;39(6):880-5. 
- Shelton T, McKinlay R, Schwartz RW. Acute appendicitis: current diagnosis and treatment. Curr Surg. 2003 Sep-Oct;60(5):502-5.