Aortic Dissection Incidence
Facts about dissecting thoracic aneurysm:
- Aortic dissections affect about 7 out of 1 million people each year in the US.
- Aortic dissection is 2-3 times more common than ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Men are more commonly affected than women.
- Aortic dissection most often occurs in patients with hypertension.
- Dissecting thoracic aneurysms are more common in African Americans.
Continue to Aortic Dissection Risk Factors
- Aziz S, Ramsdale DR. Acute dissection of the thoracic aorta. Hosp Med. 2004 Mar;65(3):136-42. 
- Chiles C, Carr JJ. Vascular diseases of the thorax: evaluation with multidetector CT. Radiol Clin North Am. 2005 May;43(3):543-69, viii. 
- Elefteriades JA. Perspectives on diseases of the thoracic aorta. Adv Cardiol. 2004;41:75-86. 
- Rogers RL, McCormack R. Aortic disasters. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):887-908. 
- Teece S, Hogg K. Best evidence topic report. Peripheral pulses to exclude thoracic aortic dissection. Emerg Med J. 2004 Sep;21(5):589.