Actions of gliptins include:
- Lower blood sugar levels after a meal
- Improve insulin levels produced by the body after a meal.
- Decrease the amount of sugar that is made by the body.
The most common side effects reported from this new class of drugs is sore throat, upper respiratory infection, and diarrhea.
Continue to AODM Glucosidase Inhibitors
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Nagaya T, Yoshida H, Takahashi H, Kawai M. Increases in body mass index, even within non-obese levels, raise the risk for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a follow-up study in a Japanese population. Diabet Med. 2005 Aug;22(8):1107-11. 
- Patja K, Jousilahti P, Hu G, Valle T, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Effects of smoking, obesity and physical activity on the risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Finnish men and women. J Intern Med. 2005 Oct;258(4):356-62. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7.