Anticoagulant Medication Bleeding Overview
Another name for Anticoagulant Medication Bleeding is Bleeding from Anticoagulant.
What is bleeding from anticoagulant?
Treatment with anticoagulant medications can result in episodes of bleeding, especially after an injury or when there is too much anticoagulant in the bloodstream. Anticoagulant medications, such as Coumadin and heparin, prolong the time that it takes for blood to clot. They do this by interfering with the normal pathway that regulates blood clot formation.
What are the symptoms of bleeding from anticoagulant?
Common bleeding from an anticoagulant symptoms include excessive bleeding, nosebleeds, black stools, blood in stool, rectal bleeding, vomiting blood, and vomiting coffee grounds-appearing material.
How does the doctor treat bleeding from anticoagulant?
Treatment for bleeding from anticoagulant includes withholding the normal anticoagulant dose to get control of bleeding. The administration of fresh frozen plasma can restore clotting factors to the bloodstream. Other medications include vitamin K and protamine.
Continue to Anticoagulant Medication Bleeding Symptoms
- Frey D, Rahman A. Medication management: an evidence-based model that decreases adverse events. Home Healthc Nurse. 2003 Jun;21(6):404-12. 
- Gaylor DW, Bolger PM, Schwetz BA. U.S. Food and Drug Administration perspective of the inclusion of effects of low-level exposures in safety and risk assessment. Environ Health Perspect. 1998 Feb;106 Suppl 1:391-4. 
- Greer IA. Anticoagulants in pregnancy. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2006 Feb;21(1):57-65. 
- Levine MN, Raskob G, Beyth RJ, Kearon C, Schulman S. Hemorrhagic complications of anticoagulant treatment: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004 Sep;126(3 Suppl):287S-310S. 
- Runciman WB, Roughead EE, Semple SJ, Adams RJ. Adverse drug events and medication errors in Australia. Int J Qual Health Care. 2003 Dec;15 Suppl 1:i49-59. 
- Staresinic AG, Sorkness CA, Goodman BM, Pigarelli DW. Comparison of outcomes using 2 delivery models of anticoagulation care. Arch Intern Med. 2006 May 8;166(9):997-1002.