Amphetamine Abuse Home Care
Home care for drug abuse includes:
- Learn relaxation techniques.
- Perform the exercises every day.
- Follow an exercise plan developed with your doctor.
- Participate in recreational activities.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Join a substance abuse support group:
- Narcotics anonymous
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Additional home care for anxiety due to drug abuse includes:
Amphetamine Abuse Stress
Tips to manage stress in someone who has abused drugs:
- Accept what you cannot change.
- Allow yourself to cry.
- Allow yourself to experience simple pleasures that give you joy.
- Ask for help if you need it.
- Associate with people you enjoy and who treat you well.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol.
- Do not be dominated by one thing, such as work or relationships.
- Do not feel guilty when you have to say "no" to extra duties or tasks.
- Donate some of your time in order to help others.
- Energize your body with regular exercise.
- Engage in hobbies.
- Fuel your body with healthy foods
- Have the courage to be imperfect.
- Make a list of all the stresses that cause you distress: dispose of the ones you can and reduce your exposure to the others as much as possible.
- Practice relaxation and meditation.
- Reevaluate and rearrange your priorities.
- Schedule time for fun. Laughter dissolves tension.
- Seek professional help when you are overwhelmed.
- Stay on a regular sleep schedule.
- Take a few minutes of quiet time each day.
- Take responsibility for how you feel.
- Talk with someone you trust.
- Avoid stimulants, such as:
Amphetamine Abuse Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have abused drugs and have any of the following:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- A false perception of something that does not exist
- Hallucinations may be visual (seeing things that do not exist)
- Hallucinations may be auditory (hearing sounds or voices that do not exist)
- Loss of memory
- Repeated vomiting
- Fever over 101 degrees F (38.3 C)
- Violent behavior
- Worsening anxiousness
- Worsening tremor
Continue to Amphetamine Abuse Complications
- Galea S, Nandi A, Vlahov D. The social epidemiology of substance use. Epidemiol Rev. 2004;26:36-52. 
- Isaacson JH, Hopper JA, Alford DP, Parran T. Prescription drug use and abuse. Risk factors, red flags, and prevention strategies. Postgrad Med. 2005 Jul;118(1):19-26. 
- Karch SB. Cocaine cardiovascular toxicity. South Med J. 2005 Aug;98(8):794-9. 
- Mattick RP, Kimber J, Breen C, Davoli M. Buprenorphine maintenance versus placebo or methadone maintenance for opioid dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD002207. 
- Skiba D, Monroe J, Wodarski JS. Adolescent substance use: reviewing the effectiveness of prevention strategies. Soc Work. 2004 Jul;49(3):343-53.