Prevention of extraintestinal amebiasis includes:
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
- Do not share food utensils.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, seafood, or poultry.
- Make sure all meat, poultry and fish products are well cooked.
- Travelers can take 2 tablets of Pepto-Bismol with each meal and at bedtime.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Continue to Amebiasis Complications
- Hoffner RJ, Kilaghbian T, Esekogwu VI, Henderson SO. Common presentations of amebic liver abscess. Ann Emerg Med. 1999 Sep;34(3):351-5. 
- Hughes MA, Petri WA Jr. Amebic liver abscess. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2000 Sep;14(3):565-82, viii. 
- Lyche KD, Jensen WA. Pleuropulmonary amebiasis. Semin Respir Infect. 1997 Jun;12(2):106-12.